July 31, 2009

Reversing Reagan...

Yeah, it needs to happen. And we'll all (even the rich) be better off when it does.

The Reagan Revolution didn't help the country, it helped about 7% of this country get very wealthy while income for the other 93% stagnated. If that doesn't reverse, we're headed for a disaster that will make this country weaker than France.

Kuff has more on what's happening on a local level with property taxes in the Houston area. It points out something fundamental... the obsession with ever lower taxes has led our schools, roads and many other basic pieces of infrastructure to deteriorate. As a result, we're now having to cut back on already reduced services. And then people wonder why things are bad.

The fault is just as much with the Republicans as it is with the Democrats and I'm not just talking about the ardent tax cutters. Don't get me wrong, selling the voting public on the free lunch that is a tax cut is cynical and fundamentally traitorous. However, the ones who know this on both sides and say nothing... well, they're even lower.

Posted by mcblogger at July 31, 2009 10:26 AM

Trackback Pings

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.mcblogger.com/movabletype/mt-tb.cgi/4713

Comments

Post a comment

Thanks for signing in, . Now you can comment. (sign out)

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)


Remember me?